[Samba] a change in rpcclient from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3a

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Mar 1 08:30:04 GMT 2002

On 20 Feb 2002, Nick Pietraniec wrote:

> Samba version 2.2.3a doesn't seem to work with the "cupsaddsmb" program
> available in CUPS...  cupsaddsmb merely runs a few rpcclient commands.
> The verbose output from cupsaddsmb is printed below.  This output is
> from cups version 1.1.14, but I received the same error from version
> 1.1.12.  On 2 different computers - both clean installs.  When run on
> Samba version 2.2.2, the command completes sucessfully.  I've highlighed
> the part of the execution that errors out.
>
> It seems to be trying to add the printer (rpcclient), but thinks that
> the printer already exists.

Ahh...yeah.  The ERRprinteralreadyexists return value was added
in between 2.2.2 and 2.2.3a.  Previously you could add the same printer
over and over.  This was semanticly incorrect.  Didn;t realize it
would break the cups stuff.  Sorry.

rpcclient also has a few bugs in 2.2.3a which may be another source
of grief.  Sorry.  We are planning to create a separate tool to do this
kind of stuff.  One which developeres won't use for testing (since that
results in all kind of mayhem in rpcclient) :-)

cheers, jerry