[Samba] Mounting smbfs as guest at boot time

Joseph Loo jloo at acm.org
Fri Mar 1 07:15:06 GMT 2002

If you want to start after a particuliar phase of the boot, like the
end, checkout /etc/rc5.d directory. This is where all the automatic
startups when you are in the init run level 5 mode (last part of the
boot for the regular system).  Anything that starts with "S" will be
runned automatically in the script. Noter S1 will be runned before S99.
This is the standard convention in Linux I beleive.

As a convention, place the script in /etc/init.d and link it into the
rc5.d directory. The script should be robust enough to accept a minimum
of 2 args kill and start. This is the convention to start an stop processes.

You should test your mount script by executing it as root to find any
errors. I use the following mount command:
mount -t smbfs -o credentials=/root/bin/credential -o workgroup=gcsnt
//golcommon/Data /win/goleta

where /root/bin/credential is a file with 2 lines:

username  =  yourusername
password = passwordforyourusername