[Samba] RE: best way to work with cvs?

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Fri Mar 1 06:56:14 GMT 2002

I used to update my CVS sandbox this way. It was slow, and I had to wait.
Then I learned how to use rsync. Now I update my sandbox more often, and it
happens faster. I don't load down the CVS server either. If I want to be
certain I'm current, I can do a quick "cvs -qn update" to make sure rsync
got everything. It always does.

Here's what I run, to make a samba_22 sandbox and a samba_head sandbox in
/usr/local/src:

rsync -avz rsync://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/samba/
/usr/local/src/samba_head
rsync -avz rsync://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/samba_2_2/
/usr/local/src/samba_22

Of course this won't work if you aren't interested in getting the "latest"
samba.