[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a, print queue status "opening," highserver load

Jay D. Anderson jay.anderson at dw.deere.com
Fri Mar 1 06:00:06 GMT 2002

Yes, printing from IE does work, it is just *very* slow, both to select the
printer, and for the print window to go away after clicking "Print."  Also, on
a very high power machine we use as a terminal server, printing from Word does
eventually work, it is just very very slow.

Again, I would be happy to provide higher debug level logs to anyone that would
like to see what Samba is doing when this printing is taking forever or
"hanging" the application.

Steven J Mackenzie wrote:

> From: "Jay D. Anderson" <jay.anderson at dw.deere.com>
> > Okay, I *thought* this was fixed with a couple changes I made, but I was
> > wrong.  I am still seeing the same behavior as outlined below.  As an
> > example, I try to print from Word and after selecting the printer Word
> > stops responding and I the smbd process loads up a CPU.
>
> I'm seeing this too, as I posted yesterday - I see it with NT4 sp6 and Win2K
> clients running Word 97 (again, as posted yesterday).
>
> The Windows clients can print from some apps (for example Internet Explorer
> 6), but just opening the print dialogue box in Word 97 locks the Word
> application.
>
> I've gone back to 2.2.2 as our PDC after some angry growls from users :(
>
> Steven

Jay D. Anderson                         John Deere Davenport Works
Jay at Deere.com                           P.O. Box 4198
Phone: 563.388.4268 Fax: 563.388.4159   Davenport, Iowa 52808
http://www.dw.deere.com/~hz01930  http://jayanderson.cjb.net