[Samba] kill roaming profiles!

Maxim Yemelyanov maxim at kcci.kharkov.ua
Wed Jun 19 04:58:04 GMT 2002

Greetings to everybody!

 Is there any way to turn off roaming profiles and use only
 local ones? In our company each of us connects to domain
 from its own workstation, so as I can see there's no need
 in roaming profiles.

 Why I'm asking such weird question?
 Because with roaming profiles Windows clients has readonly
 profiles! With Policy Editor I made HKEY_Local_Machine
 writeable, but (of course) I cannot change user's
 HKEY_current_user, when I'm logged in as local
 administrator!

 Or maybe there's another way (some Samba/Linux tools) to
 give users rights to edit their (roaming? local?) registry?

 I'm using RedHat 7.2 and Samba 2.2.2.
 here is [global] section from my smb.conf:
[global]
    workgroup = ENIGMA
    server string = Samba PDC v %v
    netbios name = BOL1

    os level = 64
    preferred master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes

    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    domain logons = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    hosts allow = (not shown)

    logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
    logon drive = T:
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false -M %u

Best regards,         mailto:maxim at kcci.kharkov.ua
Maxim                 =<ICQ:12253836>=