[Samba] Time Server? - Answers/Summary

David Busby Busby at pnts.com
Sun Jun 16 14:44:02 GMT 2002

List,
	This e-mail simply links all the various topics as one...I started
this thread.

Q1- Samba being the PDC thingy
Q2- "time server" option in smb.conf file
Q3- 'net time' command on Windows clients.

A1- Samba doesn't have to be PDC
A2- Samba doesn't need "time server = yes" in smb.conf
A3- Windows clients were not designed to keep proper time so it's a hack

Misc Rambling:

So...here's what I have and hope this confirms/clears:
In my smb.conf file I don't have "time server = yes" anywhere.  It's default
is "no" so for my configuration my Samba server should not be announcing
itself as a time server.  This Samba server is not a PDC (in fact its not
even part of my NT domain, just on the same subnet).  My Windows clients
that logon to the PDC use the command 'net time \\[a-samba=server] /set
/yes' to sync time with my Samba server (which is sync'd from UW
(http://washington.edu) now).  But they only sync on logon (which happens
once a day, if that).  So it seems like if you want your Windows clients to
stay in sync then you must manually do it with a scheduled task that will
issue the correct 'net time' command.  Or you can install a NTP client for
Windows.

Windows NTP clients
http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/.
http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/