[Samba] "unix password sync" doesn´t work !

Patrick Roberto slackware at dglnet.com.br
Fri Jun 14 12:11:05 GMT 2002

Hello ...
This is my first message to the list  (sorry my bad english :-D)

I have a recent instalation of RedHat 7.2 in my computer, whithout Samba .... i installed version 2.2.4 now, but i have a BIG problem ... take a look:

- When the option "unix password sync" is set to "No", the users change their passwords with smbpasswd command ...
but :
- When the option "unix password sync" is set to "Yes", i try to change password with smbpasswd command and have a error:

[test2 at server test2]$ smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was: RAP86: The specified password is invalid
Failed to change password for test2

look my smb.conf:
[global]
 workgroup = MYGROUP
 netbios name = SERVER
 security = USER
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 update encrypted = Yes
 smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
 unix password sync = Yes
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
 passwd chat debug = Yes
 passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

I try changing the "passwd chat" option , adding: *Old Pasword* %o\n .. not sucess !

Any idea ???

Thanks
Patrick