[Samba] Windows 2000 login bug?

Stuart Carter, Desert Rat IT Ltd Stuart.Carter at DesertRat.IT
Thu Jun 13 04:43:02 GMT 2002

I am using E-Smith server as my internet gateway/firewall and as a seperate
server.

Clients using this are: Windows 2000 Pro SP2, Windows 2000 Server SP2,
RedHat linux.

I have already upgraded Samba on the E-Smith server to Samba 2.2.3a.

This is the problem I have:

Quick summary of my home network:

I have a Windows 2000 server which administers domain foo.com. This server
has an "account" on the e-smith server (the admin account has been renamed,
and is a user on the e-smith server).

I have an e-smith server which administers domain bar.com.
E-smith is the gateway/firewall/router for our broadband access.

Whenever I try to browse the samba share on the bar.com (e-smith) server,
from my Win2000 workstation or server, I get

"\\<server> is not accessible. The account is not authorized to log in from
this station."

All of the devices are on the same IP range - 10.2.2.x. The e-smith box is
10.2.2.1, the windows server and desktops all have fixed IP addresses
allocated by the e-smith server.

I can ping the e-smith box from the Windows boxen.

I can ping the Win server from e-smith.

I am not challenged for user id / pwd when trying to browse the e-smith
area from the Windows boxen (I am using Network Neighbourhood to browse,
rather than typing in start - run - \\server\folder).

There are accounts for the Windows users in the e-smith domain, with the
same passwords as on the Windows domain.

There are hostnames for the Win boxen in the e-smith domain.

The e-smith server IP address is set as the default gateway and DNS server
in the 'doze TCP/IP settings.

I will be much obliged for any help or advice.

Thanks,

Stuart Carter
Director
Desert Rat IT Ltd
http://www.DesertRat-IT.com
Phone 0780 1627171
Fax 0709 204 5442

privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not read, use
or disseminate that information.

Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any
virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system
into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is
accepted by Desert Rat IT Ltd for any loss or damage arising in any way
from receipt or use thereof.