[Samba] winbindd fails, cannot join domain - HELP

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Jun 12 05:59:02 GMT 2002

At 07:52 AM 6/12/02 -0500, Gary Sanders wrote:
>   winbindd will not fire

>winbind seperator = (my domain) + (username)

I think this is because the winbind separator takes only one character - in
your case it should be :

winbind separator = +

>As I said /usr/local/samba/bin/winbindd will not fire, also I cannot join the
>domain, when I invoke smbpasswd -j (my domain) -r PDC Administrator, I get
>this: unknown parameter : winbind seperator, ignoring winbind seperator.
>  then it ask for password, I type in the CORRECT password and I get:
>Error connecting to PDC
>Unable to join domain

I would guess that you will need DOMAIN\Administrator, if your winbind
separator isn't working, but that is PURE guesswork.

Hope this helps

Martyn Ranyard

I am not a member of the samba team,
and anything that I say may not be as