[Samba] smbpasswd Question ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Thu Jun 6 08:58:04 GMT 2002

Greetings ...

	In the smbpasswd file, does the uid, uid number and password have to match
the Linux equivalint?

	The reason I ask, is that I am hoping that I can have a different password
for Samba and Linux, because I don't wish to give out my root password for
domain joining.

	I once tried to setup a admin account with the same uid number as root but
with a different password and remember getting it to work, but I think that
I had to setup the user name map.

	Does this pose a security risk?  I am sure it does, but only from a smb
point of view, not my Linux box or am I smoking a M$ manual?

Thanks
Mailed
Lee