[Samba] pam_smbpass.so in /etc/pam.d/samba ?

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Jul 26 08:54:01 GMT 2002

I'm getting up to speed on the pam stuff...

I've got an ldap backend for both samba and the unix pwdb
(via nss_ldap and pam_ldap)

I want to keep NT and linux passwords in sync so I've modified my pam
scripts to require pam_smbpass.so as well as pam_unix.so.
eg from /etc/pam.d/passwd

password requisite      pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=6 difok=3
password required       pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password required       pam_unix.so use_authtok nullok md5
password required       pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok

but now i'm considering /etc/pam.d/samba

it is currently
auth            sufficient      pam_ldap.so
auth            required        pam_unix.so nullok
account         sufficient      pam_ldap.so
account         required        pam_unix.so
session         sufficient      pam_ldap.so
session         required        pam_unix.so

password        sufficient      pam_ldap.so
password        required        pam_unix.so use_first_pass

do i need to add a
password required       pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok
line?
or will that do this
1) change lmPassword and ntPassword
2) trigger pam.d unix sync b/c of pam password change = Yes
2a) change unix_pw
2b) change lmPassword and ntPassword

also can a put in a cracklib line in there (and have it do what i want)?

thanks!

brad

PS Jerry: the pam_smbpass LDAP makefile patch seems to work fine.