[Samba] Slow driver properties?

Larry Engleman larry at burgiss.com
Fri Jul 26 08:54:59 GMT 2002

I'm currently using Samba 2.2.5 on a Mandrake 8.0 box with cups 1.1.4.

I have several printers shared that are accessed from winNT/2k/xp boxes.

When I right click on the printer or select printer properties, or go to
print from any of those other boxes, the response is slower than molasses.
I have an identical machine running WinNT Workstation that was previously
our print server.  It is much much faster.

Where should I start looking to diagnose the problem?  I have tried several
modes already.  Security = share with full permissions for everyone, no
authentication, guest only, seems to be the fastest, but it's still too slow
to put into production.

-Larry