[Samba] Help with Domain login Win98se and Samba 2.2.4

Lists lists at lists.okctech.com
Wed Jul 17 08:38:02 GMT 2002

I am not new to samba, but i have come across a problem that has me
stumped. This may not have anything to do with samba, and i am fairly
certain it does not... however... please bear with me and offer any
suggestions you may have as it does have to do with interoperability
between MS and samba.

I have a win98se freshly rebuilt workstation and a RedHat 7.2 machine
with samba 2.2.4 (rpm from samba.org). As of yesterday it was logging
onto the domain just fine. This morning, it did not get an ip address
(config'd for dhcp). I manually set an ip address, and it is now able to
browse the internet again, and see the samba server from
start->run->\\servername... But it errors about "No domain server was
available to validate your logon...". There are 4 other machines at this
site, that can all log on and work perfectly happily.

I have tried everything that seems obvious... ip addresses, uninstalling
and reinstalling client for MS networks, etc. etc. etc. I am stumped. I
have them working right now with a copy of their logon.bat file in the
startup folder (which i downloaded from the samba server after not being
validated at login.). Any ideas on what to try? No errors in log files
or anything out of the ordinary. Are there some cache files in windows
that i could clear, or is it possible that a setting that i am not aware
of has been corrupted in the windows registry?

Eric Anderson
Systems / Security Administrator
21st Century Electronics