[Samba] samba printing 2.2.5 - RPC server is unavailable

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Jul 15 10:05:04 GMT 2002

> It would be great if someone could post a vanilla setup example as to
> how printing should be set up for 2.2.5 / redhat linux 7.2 - including
> the spool directory structures and permissions, as well as relevant
> entries in global and printers sections... either that or I can send
> someone my smb.conf and details of my spool directories to check over...

here is my setup (working for both win95 and nt
but with 2.2.5 patched (not release)

printer admin = root, bwlang
printing = cups

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        path = /etc/samba/printers
        write list = root

ls -ld /var/spool/samba
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root          141 Jul 12 08:49
/var/spool/samba/

note that I'm using cups - not lprng that redhat comes with
but it should not matter you seem to have a problem before
the job get sent off to the printing system.

What is in your log files?

brad