[Samba] samba printing 2.2.5 - RPC server is unavailable

Daniel Horth d.horth at tzlimited.com
Sat Jul 13 05:57:01 GMT 2002

Hiya - oh so close to getting our samba 2.2.5 server running at last -
but being palgued by printer setup problems... I've never quite been
able to get printing working 100% under samba and am beginning to wonder
if it's a problem with the way the printing subsystem is set up under
Redhat.

Anyway - I've got samba installed and acting as PDC for a variety of
WinNT and Win98 clients, the win 98 clients can install and print to the
four printers fine and I can print from linux... so printers are set up
ok as far as I know...

The problem is when I try to set up or install the printers under WinNT
- at the moment all I get is a message stating "Could not connect to the
printer: The RPC server is unavailable"

A strange thing is that the printers are all listed along with the samba
shares - not in the printers forlder, also the "add printer wizard" icon
is not showing - even though I have "show add printer wizard = yes" set
in my global section.

This is starting to drive me crazy - I'm sure printer setup should not
be this hard, otherwise there would be loads more documetation detailing
this? I've been using the SAMBA HOW-TO, and "Special Edition Using
SAMBA" from QUE as well as mailing list archives, etc to try to get this
set up right... but now I'm just totally confused.

It would be great if someone could post a vanilla setup example as to
how printing should be set up for 2.2.5 / redhat linux 7.2 - including
the spool directory structures and permissions, as well as relevant
entries in global and printers sections... either that or I can send
someone my smb.conf and details of my spool directories to check over...

Any help would be much appreciated in straightening this out... it's the
last thing that stands between me and being able to have weekends /
evenings off from work... note - I'm typing this at 10:55pm on satruday
night! :(

- dan.