[Samba] smbpasswd command won't work

jchurch at gprep.org jchurch at gprep.org
Tue Jul 9 10:38:03 GMT 2002

  I am trying to setup a /etc/smbpasswd file for my users.  I use the
following command to create the /etc/smbpasswd file

cat /etc/passwd | ./mksmbpasswd.sh >  /etc/smbpasswd

Redhat 7.1, samba 2.2.5

I thought that users could log onto the linux system and simply type the
command:

smbpasswd

and it would ask for the new password.  But it asks for an OLD password
which never works.  I thought the XXXXXX's meant it would not ask for old
passwords.

As root I can add users with no problem by simply typing

smbpasswd jsmith

Below is an example from the /etc/smbpasswd file and my smb.conf file

pmorgan:532:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
         ]:LCT-00000000:Patricia Morgan

[global]
        workgroup = GPREP
        netbios name = leonardo
        server string = leonardo the lionhearted
        interfaces = 172.16.0.2/16
        winbind uid=10000-20000
        winbind gid=10000-20000
        winbind cache time = 15