[Samba] i wanna umount....

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Sun Jul 7 16:30:03 GMT 2002

Urban Widmark wrote:
> When the server is shut down processes tend to hang on smbfs. That is
> probably what has happened to you. If you wait long enough they will time
> out.
>
> You can also test this patch for 2.4.19-pre9 that should make processes
> time out after 30 seconds:

Is it possible, instead of a set timeout period, to have it specified
as an option to smbfs? The long timeout periods have been my biggest
annoyance with smbfs (which I use a lot), and I'd like to have the
freedom to set the timeout period myself.  Probably to something
closer to 5 seconds, or even less.  30 seconds is still a long
time to wait!

I am thinking of an option that would look like "timeout=tenthsec",
to allow specifying tenths of seconds rather than whole seconds.

Also, have you looked at the options available with NFS and other
filesystems, as in the mount(8) manual page, and thought
about which could be included in smbfs?  I'm asking because I may
want to replace my NFS mounts with smbfs mounts someday.  Would it
be practical to implement the "soft" vs. "hard" options?  Then the
"timeo=time" could be used with "soft" to get the control I want.

Jay Ts
jay at jayts.cx