[Samba] NT4 roaming profiles not being saved completely

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Sat Jul 6 15:36:01 GMT 2002

Hi :) I'm working with Samba 2.2.5 (Debian unstable) and have been trying to
get roaming profiles working correctly.

My test client is NT4 (SP5) which is able to log onto the domain correctly,
however even if I do things like change the background colour, change
registry entries, put stuff on the desktop, when I log off the account, only
some of the profile is uploaded.

I say 'some' because the amount seems to vary! If I start with no directory
/data/profiles/clive (clive is the test user) and log on.. make changes...
log off, then it will create some folders like 'Application Data',
'History'... if I log on again, and log off.. it will create some more like
'Temporary Internet Files', 'Start Menu', 'Desktop'...

I repeat this process, and a few more folders appear each time - but they're
always empty! NTUSER.DAT never gets uploaded, and the contents of the
desktop / IE cache never gets synchronised! :/

My smb.conf is short so I'll reproduce it here verbatim.

[global]
   netbios name = CHAMELEON
   workgroup = ACENTRAL

   hosts allow = 10.0.0., 127. 192.168.0.,

   os level = 64
   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes

   domain logons = yes

   logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
   logon drive = H:
   logon home = \\%N\%u
   logon script = netlogon.bat

   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 100

   wins support = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mask = 0775
   directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/samba/netlogon
   writable = no

[profiles]
    path = /data/profiles
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

Any ideas, you lovely people? :)

I also have the Win2000 printer status 'Access denied, unable to connect'
problem, but I'm still tinkering with that before I register an offical cry
for help ;)

Cheers!
gdh