[Samba] Occasional problem with hanging SMB mounts.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jul 3 14:46:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Kris Kelley wrote:

> I understand, thank you!  The question now becomes, what caused the
> operation to time out?  Could it still have something to do with the
> server dropping an inactive connection, perhaps at the same time this
> operations was attempted?  If so, setting up a script to keep the
> connection alive should still help, correct?

I don't know, actually.

Normally what you see is that the connection was reset. Maybe the TCP RST
was missed for some reason, like a temporary network failure. I don't know
enough on tcp-stack internals to give a better answer of why it would
return that error.

It's probably a perfectly valid TCP event, but it is uncommon so smbfs
doesn't handle it well.

I think you should try the 5-minute keep-alive thing, and if you can
repeat this error we can have a closer look.

/Urban