[Samba] printing setup

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Wed Jul 3 09:38:02 GMT 2002

I agree with Joel about your print path.

Samba notes:

(OpenBSD 3.1, LPRng 3.8.12, samba-2.2.5
with parsing fix for spoolss & samba-2.2.5 installed)

You need two paths for spooling, generally:

one for the print daemon (LPRng, CUPS, lpr, etc)
  /var/spool/lpd/%p  (%p being the printer name)
  dir is 700, files 600
  dir owned by root.wheel or similar
  files owned by daemon.daemon

one for samba
  /var/spool/samba/%p (e.g. hp4plus)
  dir/files are 777
  owned by root.daemon
  path=/var/spool/samba/hp4plus

Example for hp4plus;  using locally installed driver:

[HP4Plus]
        comment = HP4Plus by Graphics PC
        path = /var/spool/samba/hp4plus
        writeable = no
        printable = Yes
        printer = hp4plus
        use client driver = yes

[print$] notes:
dirs/files are 744 (maybe 644), owned by root.wheel

Example for [print$] share for drivers:

[print$]
        path = /eodc/printers
        read only = yes