[Samba] Occasional problem with hanging SMB mounts.

Kris Kelley skunkworx at kingwoodcable.com
Fri Jul 5 13:41:02 GMT 2002

For those keeping up with this thread, I activated my keep-alive script
which pokes the Samba mounts every five minutes, hoping to prevent any
more dropped connections.

Today (Friday) I discovered yet another instance of the problem outlined
in my first message, and after looking at the logs, I noticed that,
despite the presence of the keep-alive script, the connections were
still being dropped every so often.  I triple-checked the server-side
time-limit, and it is still set to 15 minutes.

I rummaged around the web a bit, and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305355

Unfortunately this doesn't exactly fit my scenario, as the Windows 2000
Server is not a Compaq box.  I'm still thinking this might be a clue
about what's really going on, though; perhaps something else is
superceding the "autodisconnect" registry setting with a time limit that
is even more restrictive.  I'm pinging the resident Windows sysadmins
here to see what hints they might provide.

The other linux box that mounts shares from this Windows server
continues to run error free; it's the one with programs that hit the
mounts every five seconds.  So, I have upped my keep-alive script to
poke every two and a half minutes (150 seconds).  We'll see what
happens.

---Kris Kelley