[Samba] Samba corruption and SuSE 8.0]

David Bottrill david.bottrill at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 1 11:08:02 GMT 2002

All,

I hope you can help, I've searched the archives and found some reference
to some file corruption problems, but with earlier versions of Samba to
what I am running.

Having replaced my old NT4 server at home (after it's boot disk died)
with Samba running on SuSE 8.0 I've had 3 instances of files becoming
corrupted when saved from my wife's Windows 2000 PC. What happens is
that documents appear to have random, but meaningful text appearing
at random in the document. It looks maybe like Samba has picked this
text up from somewhere else on the server's disk.

The first time this happened I was running Samba 2.2.3 as supplied on
the SuSE disks. I have since upgraded to 2.2.4 and this has happened
twice since. SuSE is patched with the latest patches using Yast2. I
connect to the server using smbmount from my SuSE PC and I've noticed no
corruption neither have the kids from their PCs running Windows 2000. As
my wife is more of a power-user than the rest of us, that could explain
why the rest of us haven't experienced the corruption. Just to be sure I
have re-built my Wife's PC including service packs and patches, but the
problem has re-appeared since then. The problem has happened twice with
Word 2000 documents and once with a Book indexing program called Cindex.
In the case of Cindex this seems to be based upon a flat file database
there the disk is updated as every record is entered, rather than Word
which is held in RAM until saved.

The Samba shares are located on a separate Reiser partition on my
server, which is a dual PIII 450 on a Gigabit motherboard this is using the
stock SuSE 8.0 SMP kernel (2.4.18-64GB-SMP).

I have now as a matter of course upgraded to 2.2.5 but there appears to be
no reference to this problem in the list of bugs fixed.

Sorry about the rather long posting but I though I would give as much
information as I could. Any thoughts / suggestions would be very welcome
as I'm getting a lot of grief from my wife.

TIA

David Bottrill