Problems of using Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Mon Jan 28 01:49:13 GMT 2002

Joel Hammer wrote:

> I can't tell you anything about xinetd. Are you sure there is no firewall
> issue here? And, is swat in /usr/local/samba/bin ?
> Do you have inetd or xinetd running? Check with ps ax | grep inetd. I
> think RH gives you a choice, not sure.

RedHat only runs xinetd.  Configuration is by a config file like the one
supplied, and xinetd is almost always running.  Default firewall
configuration will need modifiction before swat can be accessed.

> Joel
>
> swat    stream  tcp     nowait.400 root    /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat -a
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 11:25:37AM +0800, Kenny Lee wrote:
> > Joel,
> >
> > thank you for your reply.
> >
> > anyway i need to modify the " inetd.conf " or " xinetd.conf " ? i am using
> > the Red Hat ver7.1 and samba 2.2.2 .... so if i need to modify the "
> > xinetd.conf " file, then what should i type in that file ? i already created
> > a file called " swat " in /etc/xinetd.d folder. and the content of the "
> > swat " file is ....
> >
> > service swat
> > {
> >             disable            = no
> >             type                = INTERNAL

incorrect.  This is not an internal service.

> >             socket_type    = stream
> >             protocol          = tcp
> >             wait                = no
> >             user                = root
> >             server             = /usr/local/samba/bin/swat
> >             port                = 901
> > }
> >
> > is it correct ?

In a word. No :-).

Look at the entries for other programs - like rsync etc, but once you
kill the 'type' line it should work.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org