PDC & Samba File Server

Marco Zaino zaino at mfn.unipmn.it
Tue Jan 22 06:58:04 GMT 2002

Marco Zaino wrote:

> I have four file server that share users home directory in NFS under
> Solaris 8. In laboratory there are a lot of Solaris machine and Windows
> 2000 SP2. All the users profiles actually are loaded from an only samba
> server as "security = domain". So I need to install four samba file
server
> and an authentication server (this last actually already installed).
> All the Win2K workstation are in same samba domain.
>
> I've searched a lot but I haven't found a step-to-step to do this.
>
> I tried to put a "logon path = \\fileserver1\%U\.profile.%a" in global
> section and it run but I need to specify also other three file server
> whith a hundred of users for server.
>
> Is necessary to use the "nis homedir" and "homedir map"? If yes how can
> use these?
Yes, here an extract of the smb.conf of my PDC (solaris 2.8)

logon script = %U.bat
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
logon drive = H:
domain logons = Yes
homedir map = auto_home.org_dir
NIS homedir = Yes

You must configure/compile samba 2.2.3pre (cvs version) with theses
options :
./configure --with-automount --with-nisplus-home

Guy Roussin

-----------------------------------
Thanks A lot for your reply, but it doesn't work yet.
I' tried with samba 2.2.2, and %L in Logon path is translated in fred02
(my authentication server). I think that I need to put %N.
If I try to enter Windows it say than could't find something and use a
temporary local profile.

My file-server smb.conf is:
[global]
        netbios name = foxylady
        workgroup = REVOLUTION
        preferred master = false
        security = server
        password server = fred02
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        domain logons = Yes
        read only = No
        create mask = 755
[homes]
        read only = No
        create mask = 755

And my full authentication server smb.conf is:
[global]
        netbios name = fred02
        workgroup = REVOLUTION
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password level = 2
        domain logons = Yes
        security = domain
        os level = 34
        local master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.69. 127.
        dos filetimes = True
        nt acl support = True
        nis homedir = yes
        homedir map = auto_home.org_dir
        logon path = \\%N\%U\.profile.%a
        logon home = \\%N\%U
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon drive = H:
[homes]
        read only = No
        create mask = 755
[netlogon]
        path = /local/samba/netlogon
        browseable = No
        writeable = no
        guest ok = no

The homedir map is:
mzaino foxylady:/u/foxylady/mzaino

The logon.bat is empty.

Is necessary that foxylady is in smbpasswd file of server fred02? I think
no.

I hope you can help me again, thank's a lot, Zaino Marco.

--
Zaino Marco
Universita' degli Studi del Piemonte Orientale "A. Avogadro"
e-mail: zaino at mfn.unipmn.it