Browsing Election - TIE!

josh at trutwins.homeip.net josh at trutwins.homeip.net
Mon Jan 21 12:37:17 GMT 2002

I recently replied to praise's post about Basic Browsing Problems, this is
related.  Reading the O'Riley documentation I found out an interesting
thing.  It appears that there is a tie in the browsing election on my LAN.
Both samba and one of my Windows98 machines have the __MSBROWSE__ property
when I execute a nmblookup -A host.  (Only the samba machine has the <1b>
though.  When running "nmblookup WORKGROUP#b", the IP of my samba server is
returned.  I had this problem before, but I thought I fixed it.

relavant stuff in smb.conf:

encrypted passwords = yes
password level = 8
obey pam restrictions =yes
pam password change = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
os level = 65
lm announce = True # is this needed?
valid users = trutwij root nobody
guest account = nobody
guest ok = yes
name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
dns proxy = yes
wins support = yes
browsable = yes

The logs state that the samba machine is the local/preferred/domain master,
any ideas on what to do about this misbehaving Windows machine?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh