Browsing Election - TIE!

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Jan 21 13:06:06 GMT 2002

josh at trutwins.homeip.net wrote:

> I recently replied to praise's post about Basic Browsing Problems, this is
> related.  Reading the O'Riley documentation I found out an interesting
> thing.  It appears that there is a tie in the browsing election on my LAN.

	Oh my guts and galoshes, that's bad!

> Both samba and one of my Windows98 machines have the __MSBROWSE__ property
> when I execute a nmblookup -A host.  (Only the samba machine has the <1b>
> though.  When running "nmblookup WORKGROUP#b", the IP of my samba server is
> returned.
>
> The logs state that the samba machine is the local/preferred/domain master,
> any ideas on what to do about this misbehaving Windows machine?

	I think you'll need to reinstall the client and
	server: fortunately that on;y takles a couple of
	minutes, right from the control panel->network
	window.

--dave
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com