Swat doesn't work.

Robert Styma stymar at agcs.com
Fri Jan 18 09:48:03 GMT 2002

It appears you are using Linux.  Swat is started by
inetd  (xinetd in the Linux case).  You need to make
sure it is active.  Redhat has a GUI for configuring
many of the inetd features I think under gnome it
is Gnome->programs->start->services (picture of a gear).

Since you are connection on port 901, you are not actually
talking to a normal web server.  You are talking to the
swat program (started by inetd) which happens to speak
the http protocol and can thus interact with browsers.

If you believe you have swat running, try running
telnet 127.0.0.1 901
from a UNIX prompt on the Samba machine.  If you
get a connection, swat is up.
127.0.0.1 is the loopback address.