Samba and winbind failing, slowly but surely

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Fri Jan 18 06:45:04 GMT 2002

My setup is as follows:
One NT 4.0 server that is used for authentication.
One Samba 2.2.2 (TurboLinux 6.5, kernel 2.4.14 SMP) server running winbind (oplocks turned off).
25 Win98,WIn2K and WInXP clients.

This Samba,winbind,NT setup had been running great for about three months and neither i nor anyone else has made any changes or additions to the servers.  Then all of the sudden i run into problems yesterday morning.

My initial problem was that when people tried to login, the login script would hang while mapping the drives that go to the Samba server.  The drives that go to the NT server mapped fine, only the samba ones would hang.  I went through several things trying to fix it, but had no sucess.  Finally, late last night, i removed the /usr/local/samba dir and the /tmp/.winbind dir (wasn't sure if that one was important or not) and restored the /usr/local/samba dir from a backup from a couple of days ago.  After that, when logging in there was no pause at all.  It logged right in and mapped all the drives in a second or so.  This morning, before my users arrived, i tested it again.  It still logs in, but there is a very noticable pause when it tries to map the Samba drives.  They do go through, but i am afraid that soon i will be back where i started from yesterday morning, with all my login scripts hanging.  This is how the problem started yesterday.

I would be happy to post the log files, just let me know which ones to post. log.nmbd, log.smbd, log.ntserver ?

Also, why is there never any info at all logged to log.winbind?  I start it with the -d 3 option to bum up the logging level but i still get no info.

If anyone here has any ideas or has encountered any similar problems, please let me know.  Your input would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin