Error writing 4 bytes solution - FAQ issue

Martin Devera devik at cdi.cz
Thu Jan 17 05:24:07 GMT 2002

> Hi Devik,
> I think that also inserting all your clients IPs and their names into /etc/hosts
> or /etc/samba/lmhosts file could help. And you do not need to use DNS

/etc/hosts could work - only I'd have to insert all mu clients. And
inserting 150 IP addresses seems a bit .. nonUnix to me :)
Named allows you to declare whole subnet SOA without any actual records
and thus it only replies NXDOMAIN.

/etc/samba/lmhosts doesn't seem to solve it. Probably because the reverse
lookup is done directly by gethostbyname in order to resolve address for
access checking.

> server, if you need it only for samba. Also check your "name resolve order"
> parameter in smb.conf. Could you try this? ;-)

yes. name resolve order didn't affected it too.

nice day, devik