Error writing 4 bytes solution - FAQ issue

Martin Rusko rusko at kam.vm.stuba.sk
Thu Jan 17 04:38:05 GMT 2002

Hi Devik,
I think that also inserting all your clients IPs and their names into /etc/hosts
or /etc/samba/lmhosts file could help. And you do not need to use DNS
server, if you need it only for samba. Also check your "name resolve order"
parameter in smb.conf. Could you try this? ;-)

       Many thanks and have a nice day...

           mARTin

On 17 Jan 02, at 13:07, Martin Devera wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've experienced problem with samba 2.2.x. The server refuses
> clients and logs:
>  write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = Broken pipe
>
> After searching archives I found that it is often mentioned problem
> and usual reply is: make your network faster / performance-tune your
> server.
> It seemed weird to me as I don't expect samba to be so poor baby. And
> I've seen the same problem at three sites where it worked before.
>
> I found very simple cure. Install named at local server/network and
> estabilish reverse mapping (in-addr.arpa) for IPs in your local net.
>
> It seems that samba resolves client's address into name and when it
> take too long Windows disconnects meanwhile.
> My problems were caused by using samba on private ip range and problems
> started when ISP's nameserver stopped to reverse-resolve there IPs. At
> all my three problematic sites named cured the problem.
> I used reverse maping which has no PTRs for private range so that named
> replies NXDOMAIN - but it is enough: it replies fast.
>
> I didn't found this info in manuals and I think that is should be
> mentioned in FAQ. It could help mane confused users.
>
> Thanks for Samba being here. Keep good work.
> Martin Devera aka devik
>

> --

Martin Rusko
PhD student
Slovak Technical University
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Department of Automation
e-mail: rusko at kam.vm.stuba.sk
--
motto: We are Microsoft! Resistance is futile.
       Open your source code and prepare for assimilation.