master browser issues

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 18:59:08 GMT 2002

At a guess, I'd say that the Windows machines were broadcasting their
presence over NetBEUI, and Samba only broadcasts over / listens to
TCP/IP. And unless you've set up WINS or some other form of cross-subnet
browsing, they won't be aware of machines on any other subnet.

Unless you really need it, I would suggest removing the NetBEUI
protocol from all the Windows machines anyway - I've seen it be the
cause of many problems of this sort. On the other hand, if it's working,
I'm a firm believer in not fixing things that ain't broke.

--
That feeling just came over me.
                -- Albert DeSalvo, the "Boston Strangler"