Samba Network Browsing after Windows Upgrade

josh at trutwins.homeip.net josh at trutwins.homeip.net
Mon Jan 14 13:56:03 GMT 2002

Hello list,

I have a minor annoyance with network browsing running samba 2.2.2.

I have 3 PC's at home running various OS's.  At one time the OS's were as
follows:

Scully - SuSE Linux 7.3 (Samba, djbdns, qmail, apache)
Mulder - Win 2000 laptop
Doggett - Win 98 PC

With this configuration running samba 2.2.2 I was able to get network
browsing working perfectly.  All three machines appeared in everyone's
network neighborhood.

Of course though, Mulder (windows 2000) started locking up and gave me
numerous problems.  So I rebuilt it with Windows 98 which for some reason
seems to be the most "stable" windows I have tried.

The network settings for for the two Win98 machines (Mulder and Doggett)
are EXACTLY the same (DNS, WINS, etc), but now network browsing is not
working as well.  For Doggett, only Scully and Doggett show up in the
Network Neighborhood.   For Mulder, only Mulder shows up in the Network
Neighborhood.  Fortunately,  I still access all shares using Map Network
Drive, but I would like to fix the browsing capability as it is easier to
use.

I checked the samba logs and there is nothing exciting to report from
them.  Everything worked fine until I rebuilt the laptop.  Are there any
samba cache files that need to be removed?  I have restarted samba,
rebooted the server, rebooted the clients, no change.  I ran through all
the steps in DIAGNOSIS.txt again, everything worked ok.  The only thing
that might help is that nmblookup -A has different results:

scully# nmblookup -A doggett
Looking up status of 192.168.0.5
        DOGGETT         <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
        XFILES          <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        DOGGETT         <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
        DOGGETT         <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
        XFILES          <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        SKINNER         <03> -         M <ACTIVE>

scully# nmblookup -A mulder
Looking up status of 192.168.0.2
        MULDER          <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
        XFILES          <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        MULDER          <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
        MULDER          <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
        XFILES          <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        SKINNER         <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
        XFILES          <1d> -         M <ACTIVE>
        ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>

Should DOGGETT also have a __MSBROWSE__ and a XFILES <1d> entry?

Here is a snip from my smb.conf: (samba is running on 192.168.0.3)

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Josh

[global]
	netbios name = scully
	workgroup = XFILES
	server string = Linux Samba %v
	interfaces = 192.168.0.3 127.0.0.1
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	security = user
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	password level = 8
	encrypt passwords = yes
	obey pam restrictions = yes
	pam password change = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	os level = 65
	lm announce = True
	dns proxy = No
	valid users = skinner root nobody
	hosts allow = 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.4 192.168.0.5
127.0.0.1
	wins support = yes
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
	dns proxy = yes
	local master = yes
	preferred master = yes
	domain master = yes