Enabling SWAT

Marc R. Hoffman emulator at mac.com
Sun Jan 13 14:07:02 GMT 2002

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 03:23  PM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> BTW, that doc really should be updated, along with a sample
> xinetd.d/swat file.  Since I have not been able to get swat working, I
> won't volunteer mine ;-)
>
> I have an authentication error, BTW, not an xientd problem.
>
> --Yan

I had the same authentication error. This fixed it for me. Make sure that
you run the following as "root":

cat "/etc/passwd" | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd

You will need to restart Samba so that it uses this file. I just rebooted
to make sure things were restarted properly.

You will then need to update it to have your password. You can do this
by running the following command:

smbpasswd -u [USERNAME]

I was then able to mount the SMB Linux share on a Windows 2000 box.