Enabling SWAT

Jon L.Gardner jon at food.tamu.edu
Sun Jan 13 15:06:06 GMT 2002

Is there a way to get Samba to keep the smbpasswd file entries
synchronized with the /etc/passwd (or NIS, or NetInfo) entries? From
what I'm seeing, we'll end up having to change passwords twice...once
for UNIX, again for Samba (I know there's a way to update the UNIX
password when the Samba password is changed from a client, but most of
my clients aren't using CIFS clients).

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 04:02 PM, Marc R. Hoffman wrote:

> I had the same authentication error. This fixed it for me. Make sure
> that you run the following as "root":
>
> cat "/etc/passwd" | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
> You will need to restart Samba so that it uses this file. I just
> rebooted to make sure things were restarted properly.
>
> You will then need to update it to have your password. You can do this
> by running the following command:
>
> smbpasswd -u [USERNAME]

<><
Jon L. Gardner '89, Computer Systems Manager <mailto:jon at food.tamu.edu>
Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services <http://food.tamu.edu/>
Tel 979.458.1839 * Fax 979.845.2157 * Hip 979.229.4323
PGP public key available at <http://food.tamu.edu/pgp/jon.html>

"Statesmen...may plan and speculate for Liberty, but it is religion and
morality alone, which can establish the principles upon which Freedom
can securely stand." (John Adams)