(not so) simple tar

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 04:23:02 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I've got a simple backup problem that I'm struggling with and could do with
somone providing me with a light bulb for over my head.

I have a number of Win9X boxes with Office installed and I need to back them
up nightly.  However, I only want to back up the "My Documents" and the
/windows/desktop/.

can anyone tel me how to specify the "My Documents" on the tar line, or on
the command line for smbtar.  This is the sort of thing I'm trying, but it
insists on splitting My and Documents.

tar cI lsalesg.tar "My Documents" "windows/desktop"
tar cI lsalesg.tar My\ Documents/* "windows/desktop/*"
--
Gary Stainburn