Large disc shares seen from Windows 95 & 95

George at durequip.com George at durequip.com
Thu Jan 3 13:56:03 GMT 2002

Apologies if this is an FAQ somewhere but I do not see it.  I expect that it
probably is.

I have created an 11 gig partition, mounted on /user.data and shared it as
"user.data" with SAMBA.  From my NT workstation I can see it just fine, but
from a Win 95/98 machine the file/properties shows only 2 gig.  I assume
this is due to the 95/98 partition size limit.  I assume this also means
that the 95/98 boxes can't use anything beyond the first 2 gigs on the
partition.

Can I just create and share directories as /user.data/dir1, /user.data/dir2
and so forth, which would (hopefully) have the effect of giving the 95/98
boxes access to more of the disc?  Or can someone point me to the right FAQ?
I really don't want to chop this disc up to make actual 2 gig physical
partitions.

tia,
Geo.

DurEquip, Inc.
Our area code has changed from 612 to 763.
Direct Line:  763-259-6300
Toll Free Direct: 877-690-6300
http://www.durequip.com