ghost machines, revisited

Keith Warno keith.warno at valaran.com
Thu Jan 3 10:47:08 GMT 2002

James W. Beauchamp wrote:

> Keith:
> I may be missing something here, but are you saying that when you shutdown
> both samba servers they remain in the  browse lists of the windoze machines?
> If so, I think this is normal since you have removed the WINS server from
> the network.  Now your windoze machines just keep cached what the last
> 'view' of the network was.
>
> My apologies if you are talking about something different.

Heh.  Not quite what I was trying to say. :D

Samba servers remain online.  They've been online for quite a while.
What I'm saying is the windows machines (in this case, win2000, all of
which are in the same workgroup; there is no domain here) always appear
in the browse lists whether the given windows client in question is
online or not.  By example:

- winboxA and winboxB, both online.  Both in browse lists.  All is happy.
- winboxB is shutdown.  winboxA still sees winboxB listed in the browse
list.  winboxB will in fact remain in the list for what seems like
forever, regardless of winboxB actually being online or not.

Same thing happens with workgroups.  A while ago there were a bunch of
clients in here and they all brought their laptops in (and hence their
own "workgroup" settings, from windoze' perspective).  Since then (about
3 weeks ago), all of such workgroups (now "ghosts") have remained in the
browse listings.  Unnecessary clutter and I do not know who
(samba/win2k) is causing it.  :/

Now that it's clarified: thoughts/ideas??  :)

kw