[Samba] veto dotfiles but not directory?

Gregory K. Ade gkade at bigbrother.net
Thu Feb 28 09:28:18 GMT 2002

I've been playing around a little bit with the "veto files" option for
the [homes] shares we have on our Samba servers (2.2.1a & 2.2.3a).

I've discovered that:

	veto files = /.*/

works marvelously for not letting the users muck with their .dotfiles,
which is exactly what we want, however, I've also discovered that it
also clobbers the special directory entries "." and "..", which causes
some programs to fail when reading the directory of the share.

I thought, at first, that the "veto files" option took shell-style
globbing as arguments, and tried:

	veto files = /.??*/

so as to only clobber directory entries that began with . and had at
least two other characters in the name (thereby avoiding "." and "..").
However, that seemed to have the exact same effect as /.*/ did, and
things like the command prompt or Word were unable to access the share,
due to not getting information for "." (mapped as H:\).

Is there a way to do what I want, or do i have to give up the "veto
files" idea?

many thanks.
--
Gregory K. Ade <gkade at bigbrother.net>