[Samba] Revert to 2.2.2 to allow printing from NT4 with Word 97 ?

Steven Mackenzie sjm at activenavigation.com
Wed Feb 27 13:59:40 GMT 2002

What changed in the printing code between 2.2.2 and 2.2.3a?

I've had to revert from 2.2.3a to 2.2.2 to allow NT4 clients to print from
Word 97 :(

Here is a repeatable test at my site:

Run NT4 sp6 client:

Stop and start 2.2.2 server:

Stop and start the NT spooler service.
Start Word 97
Load a doc (eg ~200k with simple diagram and table)
Choose File>Print ...
You can chose to print the document after a brief (few second) busy period
(hour glass icon)
The document prints.
Close the application.

Stop server and start a 2.2.3a server:

Stop and start the NT spooler service.
Start Word 97
Load a doc (eg ~200k with simple diagram and table)
Choose File>Print ...
The Print dialogue box appears, but the application will now be "busy" (hour
glass cursor) forever.
Kill the application from the task manager.

Stop and start 2.2.2 server:

Stop and start the NT spooler service.
Start Word 97
Load a doc (eg ~200k with simple diagram and table)
Choose File>Print ...
You can chose to print the document after a brief (few second) busy period
(hour glass icon)
The document prints

repeat as desired ...

I hope this is useful to someone. Let me know if I can get any more useful
diagnostics from this setup,

Steven.

===
Steven Mackenzie