[Samba] Printer Drv. Settings only with Manage Printer perm.?

Harald Hutter hutter at ihs.ac.at
Wed Feb 27 03:02:13 GMT 2002

Hi all,

My colleague Peter posted our problem regarding the propagation
of printer settings (see message 2002-February/067731.html).
Thanks to all who respond. Unfortunately our problem is
still not solved. Maybe there is some kind of misunderstanding, so I like
to explain this more in detail:

We use HP and Tektronix printer drivers. We can configure the printers
(connected as root) to use an installed duplex unit
but the settings are not propagated to other users. This seems definitely
not to be a problem of changing "global device modes" or "per user
dev modes" as far I understand this because in both tabs
(general -> printing preferences AND advanced -> printing defaults)
the options to print on both sides are missing if you don't have
the checkbox for duplex unit marked. In the case of HP drivers
this is located in the configure tab. Other settings in this tab and in the
NTForms tab are ignored too (eg choosing the 4050 /4050 TN base model in case
of HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL 6 driver or assigning paper sizes to trays).

I applied the suggested patch to fix  the broken devmode changes in
srv_spoolss_nt. Didn't help. We use samba 2.2.3a.

Next, I checked the tdb files, making dumps before and after configuring a
duplex unit to be sure the new settings are written. As I expected the data
section in ntprinters.tdb is changed.

Then I increased th debug level: setting it to 10 I was able to find some
"No such file or directory" error messages.  Following some examples:

  call_trans2qfilepathinfo: vfs_stat of AppProperties failed (No such file or
directory)
  error string = No such file or directory
  call_trans2qfilepathinfo: vfs_stat of HPBFFF5.DLL failed (No such file or
directory)
  error string = No such file or directory
  call_trans2qfilepathinfo: vfs_stat of hpbstt.dll failed (No such file or
directory)
  error string = No such file or directory

Having a look at the upload directory, hpbfff5.dll is there (.../W32X86/2/).
However I've found no hpbstt.dll. (Neigther on the Server nor on local disks)
Should this file be there? Any ideas?

If more information is needed (logs, tdpdumps etc.), please tell me.

Thanks,
Harald Hutter

       HUTTER Harald

       INSTITUTE FOR ADVANCED STUDIES
       Stumpergasse 56                         Tel.Nr.: +43-1-59991/118
       A-1060 Vienna                           email: hutter at ihs.ac.at
       AUSTRIA

       Dep. Informations und                             Linux
            Datenverarbeitung                 The choice of a GNU - generation