[Samba] printing problems and permissions

Frank Fürst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Feb 27 01:25:02 GMT 2002

Joel Hammer <Joel at HammersHome.com> schrieb:

> You haven't gotten any replies, so I'll put my two cents in.  This sounds
> like samba has received the job from the NT client but whatever program
> you are trying to print with can't open the file.

Yes, it sounds like this - but how could that happen? BTW it doesn't
matter which program on the NT client is used, Acrobat Reader, WinWord,
WordPerfect and others, even the test page failes.

What I should have added:

Once a print job was rejected, all subsequent print jobs will be
rejected too. A "logout - logon again" is needed, sometimes even a
reboot (and once, IIRC, printing a test page also helped, but since that
it always failed, too).

> Are these printfiles
> left in your spool directory?

Usually not, only when there was a print error (which happens sometimes,
it's a network printer whose network interface doesn't handle properly
the case that the printer is powered off).

> If they are, what are their permissions,
> etc.?

They are kept now:
~$ ll /var/spool/samba/print/
total 37
-rw-------    1 frank    samba       36470 Feb 27 10:16 smbprn.002822.6PxNrc

This was a printer test page from the problematic client, this time it
worked well.

Looks good, doesn't it?

Thanks, Frank
--
Frank Fürst, physikalische Biochemie, Universität Potsdam, Germany
Tel.: +49-331-977-5062		Fax: +49-331-977-5062