[SAMBA] Known limitations? (IRIX + Samba 2.2.3a + Winbind)

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 12:13:04 GMT 2002

Hi there,

>still find some odd permissions things going on.  The IRIX machine is
>authenticating NT users from my NT domain OK and I can specify user rights
>to files, but when you do a long listing under IRIX it list the file as
>being owned by DOMAIN-NAME with group DOMAIN-NAME, where DOMAIN-NAME is the
>name of my NT Domain.  Strange.

Not neccesarily strange.  How long is the DOMAIN-NAME?  Wierd question,
but I've used IRIX for years, and the 'ls -l' command only ever shows the
first eight characters of a user or group name.  We have group names of
12-13 characters here and their names always get truncated in 'ls -l'
listings.

So if your DOMAIN-NAME is 8 characters or more, then you'll never
see the +Username bit.  You can use 'ls -ln' to at least check
that the UID and GID are right.

I have a recollection that (somewhere) there's an option to winbind
that means it doesn't stick the "DOMAIN-NAME+" bit on the begining
of user names (but only for the default domain of course.....)

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)