[Samba] Outlook XP on NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition & Samba

Blanchard, Michael MBlanchard at grandaire.com
Tue Feb 26 11:57:10 GMT 2002

I have had my fair share of outlook problems, even had microsoft tell me
"shit happens" when I had a 400mb pst file currupt on it's own.  There
is a few other things that I've found can cause "stupid" problems with
outlook.

1. Have you scanned the PST for errors?  I've had TONS AND TONS of
stupid little errors happen until I scanned the pst a few times and
fixed all the errors that crop up.  An outlook PST will get errors in it
if you look at it wrong...drop of a hat, bang, errors in pst.
2. You you deleted and re-created the OUTLOOK profile on the machine?
I've actually had the outlook profile get corrupted, causing weird
things like the program working for exactly 5 seconds and then closing.
You can't delete this by deleting the shared profile, you need to go
into outlook and delete the profile in there.
3.  In my experience in my company, I would NEVER put a PST on a network
share ever again.  I've had some people that would work find for years,
and others would just ALWAYS have problems with errors in the PST and
other things.  I only managed to clean up the problem by moving everyone
to the exchange storage.

Probably not the answers you want, but I wanted to chime in after all
the headaches outlook has given me over the years.