[Samba] winbind problem with existing linux user accounts. (Samba 2.2.3a)

Matthews, John JMatthews at LIO.AACISD.com
Tue Feb 26 08:57:06 GMT 2002

Hello,

	I'm experiencing a frustrating problem configuring winbind and Samba
2.2.3a on a Red Hat Linux 7.2 server.  I would appreciate ANY help and/or
advice.  I have read the documentation which comes with the samba source,
but I'm still having problems. I can successfully see the Windows
Users/Groups through Linux, using "wbinfo -u", "wbinfo -g", "getent passwd",
and "getent group".  I think my problem might be related to the pam.d/samba
file, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

	Configuration: Red Hat Linux 7.2, Samba 2.2.3a with winbind. Primary
Domain Controller is a Windows 2000 machine.
	Here's my problem:

	A user "fred" logs into his Windows 2000 PC, and attempts to access
through Samba his /home/fred directory.
		1. If "fred" is a normal linux user, and has an entry in
/etc/passwd AND winbind is loaded then I receive an error  "The network name
cannot be found.".  Samba seems able to determine that "fred" is a linux
user and shows the corresponding [homes] directory, I'm just not able to
access the home directory.  I was thinking that this might be related to the
UID's being different between the linux account of "fred" and the windbind
account "domain+fred".
		2. If "fred" does the same thing as above, but this time
winbind isn't loaded (I need to restart smb after killing the winbind
process) then everything works as I want.  The problem is that now with
winbind not loaded, Windows Users who don't have a Linux account are unable
to access most of the Linux shares.

	I'm hoping there's a way to fix this.  Ideally I'd like to allow
everyone to access the Samba share on the linux server, if a user has a
linux account then in addition I'd like their linux home directory to be
displayed as well.

	Thanks in advance for help,
	John Matthews