[Samba] Printer Drv. Settings only with Manage Printer perm.?

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Feb 26 06:26:03 GMT 2002

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Peter Griessl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I found an old (Oct 9) posting (and no answers) titled "Print Driver
> Settings"
> from Michael Devogelaere regarding installing/using extra trays and duplex
> units using Win2000.
>
> We are using Samba 2.2.3a and HP and Tektronix printer drivers and
> experience the same difficulties - users cannot select/use the duplex
> unit without having "Manage Printer" permissions. Exactly as M.D. wrote:
> "That way, everybody gets the correct settings but *can also modify them*.
> If we allow only 'Print-access' to everybody, they cannot read any setting
> at all." - and are forced to use the printer drivers default settings
> (no duplex unit etc.).

The general model is that you connect to the server as a printer admin
and set the proiperties you wish.  These changes are then propagated
to all clients.

Win2k also supports a per-user device mode (from the General tab of the
printer properties page) for individual settings.  Nt4 however does not.

Also you should get the patch for 2.2.3a that was posted to
fix the bug that prevented printer settings from being saved.

cheers, jerry