[Samba] Solaris-WIN2K-WINXP login problem

Ramanand Singh rsingh at nalandatech.com
Mon Feb 25 12:45:04 GMT 2002

I have an access problem. Here is the situation:

- samba 2.2.3a is installed and configured on a Solaris 8 machine (Sun E250)
- two PCs (one WIN2K and one WIN XP) are connected to the network.
- I have added users into samba using
	smbpasswd -a <username>

When I use "security = share" in the configuration, I can see the
services/directories defined on samba server (Solaris machine) from a PC
(opening My Network Places). However, when I try to access any of those
directories from a PC, it asks me to login. On providing user name and
password, it returns back to the login prompt. In other words, it did not
accept the password.

On the other hand, if I use "security=user", I can not access any of the
directories of samba server from any PCS.

Can somebody help me out to figure out the problem. Below is my smb.conf
data (with user names changed.)

Regards,
Ramanand Singh

------------

[global]
   workgroup = nalanda
   server string = Samba Server
   netbios name = river
   username map = /opt/tools/lib/samba-username.map
   hosts allow = 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.4 192.168.1.5 127.
   guest account = guest
   log file = /opt/tools/logs/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 100
   security = share