[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a, print queue status "opening," highserver load

Jay D. Anderson jay.anderson at dw.deere.com
Mon Feb 25 11:46:00 GMT 2002

About five minutes after I sent my message, I found that the "veto files" entry in
my smb.conf was the main culprit for my problem.  For problems experienced by NT4.0
Windows Terminal Server Edition, I had to prevent Ne01: type files from being
written to file shares, or printing would stop for some users unlucky enough to
have printing malfunction and start writing these sort of files instead of
printing.  I have taken out that global and instead put it in as a per-share
parameter, and now printing works properly.... as long as "File and Printer
Sharing" is enabled in the network properties on the client.  If this parameter
isn't enabled, printing works, but the queue is shown as Opening, or "failed
connection."

Thanks for your help.

Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > w2k clients behave as predicted with users being able to
> > change document options but not printer default settings.
> >
> > nt4 clients cannot change document defaults from printer properties unless
> > the user is a "printer admin" (or obviously admin mapped to server/root)
>
> This is because Win2k introduced a per user Device Mode.  NT 4 does
> not have this.
>
> > I suspect this is an area of development...but
> >
> >   as a temporary fix/workaround I thought I might hack the srv_spoolss_nt.c to
> >  deny some of the catastrophic changes to printer admins (apart from root) and
> >  open up options re changing printer parameters. As I'm likely to get out of
> >  my depth here pretty quick a little feedback as to if this is feasible would
> >  be welcomed?
>
> Not possible in general.  Particularly when you get into the
> private dfata blob held by a printer's devmode.  The access check
> to fetermine whether or not buttons on the properties page should be
> greyed out occurs as part of the OpenPrinterEx() call.  Kind of an all or
> non thing.  Very complicated.
>
> cheers, jerry

Jay D. Anderson                         John Deere Davenport Works
Jay at Deere.com                           P.O. Box 4198
Phone: 563.388.4268 Fax: 563.388.4159   Davenport, Iowa 52808
http://www.dw.deere.com/~hz01930  http://jayanderson.cjb.net