[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a, print queue status "opening," high server load

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Feb 25 11:30:04 GMT 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk wrote:

> w2k clients behave as predicted with users being able to
> change document options but not printer default settings.
>
> nt4 clients cannot change document defaults from printer properties unless
> the user is a "printer admin" (or obviously admin mapped to server/root)

This is because Win2k introduced a per user Device Mode.  NT 4 does
not have this.

> I suspect this is an area of development...but
>
>   as a temporary fix/workaround I thought I might hack the srv_spoolss_nt.c to
>  deny some of the catastrophic changes to printer admins (apart from root) and
>  open up options re changing printer parameters. As I'm likely to get out of
>  my depth here pretty quick a little feedback as to if this is feasible would
>  be welcomed?

Not possible in general.  Particularly when you get into the
private dfata blob held by a printer's devmode.  The access check
to fetermine whether or not buttons on the properties page should be
greyed out occurs as part of the OpenPrinterEx() call.  Kind of an all or
non thing.  Very complicated.

cheers, jerry