[Samba] long filenames always mangled under dos

André Weidemann Andre.Weidemann at web.de
Thu Feb 21 14:14:03 GMT 2002

I create a Bootdisk from Win98 with "sys a:" and the netsetup from the
Microsoft FTP-server to have TCP/IP under DOS.
I can map the shares from Samba to a drive with:
"net use d: \\server\win98"
The problem is that all long filenames are mangled, but not in the way
DOS does it.
The Folder "Program Files" does not become "Progra~1" but "Progr~4Z".
Is there a way to tell Samba to mangle the names according to DOS
conventions?
Or is there a way to make DOS handle long file names? (Because in a
Dos-Prompt under Win98 you always have the long names displayed but not
if you boot from a floppy disk.)

I'm doing all this because I want to setup a diskless Workstation and
have no other Idea of creating a bootdrive without having a harddrive
installed on my computer.

Thanx a lot in advance,
  André.