[Samba] Linux and SMB using single passwd

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Feb 20 03:40:08 GMT 2002

We do this, where we actually have all linux machines except the PDC
(which has the LDAP server also) doing authentication via LDAP and
pam_smb. Users change their password from windows, and the imap server,
ssh, login, kde, gdm etc all use pam_smb. We also use auth_smb on squid
to auth against the samba pdc.

At present I think the best option is to use LDAP and pam_smb together.
You just need to ensure that accounts can be added (to smbpasswd and
LDAP simultaneously) easily. Of course, having accounts in smbpasswd
requires a unix account first (either passwd or LDAP or whatever). So we
  keep passwd on our PDC, have a script which grabs new accounts from
passwd and adds them to ldap (I am not sure if this can be done more
easily).

Buchan

> Message: 2
> From: Macky <macky at opusvl.com>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:28:13 +0000
> Subject: [Samba] Linux and SMB using single passwd
>
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to set up a samba server but using the same user / pass for unix
> logins and smb logins.
>
> This works fine if I use non-encrypted passwords but I have to apply the
> registry patch to set my win98 clients to use non-encrypted passwords.
>
> Could I use pam_smb to authenticate the Linux box against its own smb server
> then use encrypted smb passwords?
>
> I understand that if the smb is not running, unix users will not be able to
> log in but this will not be a problem.
>

> TIA
>
> Macky

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202
GPG Key                       http://ranger.dnsalias.com/gpg.key